In case you didn’t catch the switch, I am now blogging at my new, hosted re-launch of this site, now called Sarah’s Ambitions. Find me talking all things stylish, sparkly and sweet over at http://sarahsambitions.com/! I can’t wait to have you join in on the fun.
Can you handle the wait? AmbitionS is going through a major revamp. In the meantime, enjoy this adorable video!
Inspired after seeing an editorial with waist-high trousers and adding it to my mood board, I was on the hunt for a flattering pair. These pretty pants can be worn in winter with a belted cardigan, floating effortlessly into spring with a simple, fitted tank top. Be sure to style them with plenty of color to offset the white sea of legs.
Love the look? Get it for less! Both options are from respected designers and both have serious style.
Salvatore Ferragamo Wide Viscose Cady Trousers, $895 • Milly White Flared Trousers, $203.09 (£128.99)
Letter from the Editor: What Have You Done Today to Make You Feel Proud?
Sometimes a powerful song says enough in three minutes and fifty-seven seconds to inspire something much larger than itself.
"I’m on my way, can’t stop me now, and you can do the same, yeah!"
Proud by Heather Smalls has been a favorite of mine for years, but her lyrics ring especially true right now. In the last few weeks, I have taken so many steps towards achieving my dreams that I am almost incredulous of my own accomplishments. So what have I done to make me feel proud?
I shed some tears, I even got a little bit angry - and then I did some soul searching. After taking a close look at everything I love and recognizing what I don’t, I took a leap of faith.
This #getitgirl quit her 9-to-5 and became a full-time freelance writer.
I have never felt more accomplished, more fulfilled or happier than I am now. Through some stroke of pure luck (my friends tell me it’s talent), I have been able to score some amazing gigs. I get to write about things I love while I sit at my own desk, in awe of our ocean view, snuggling our puppies and typing furiously as though I can’t believe my good fortune.
Freelance isn’t for everyone - I have to set my own schedule and am the only person making sure I stick to it. There aren’t any benefits, taxes can be a nightmare and if there are no gigs, there is no money. Thankfully, all is going swimmingly and I know I have found my career lobster. I am so a Carrie and I am loving every second of it.
You can do the same. Join me on my #getitgirl journey and make things happen for yourself. Take a look at your life: acknowledge your strengths, fears and weaknesses. Recognize your goals, no matter how far-fetched they may seem right now. Most importantly, believe in yourself. No one else will before you do.
I want to be the San Francisco editor of Vogue. Anna, I can’t wait to pitch to you.
P.S. What are your dreams?
Cotton Candy Cloud Nine
An airy, girly maxi skirt in pastel pink is a great addition to your winter-to-spring wardrobe. Wear it now with booties, a studded faux leather jacket and a sparkly top. This spring, don colorful gladiator sandals, a simple black tank and a major necklace party full of spikes, sparkle and shine.
While the D&G option sure looks like the belle of the ball, don’t let the price get you all tulled up. Love the look for less with Gap’s affordable and chic alternative!
D&G Tulle Maxi Skirt, £435 ($684.12) via UK Net-A-Porter • Gap Tulle Ballet Skirt, $69.95
A key part of networking at meetup events is making a lasting, positive impression. Long after the event is over, however, you can be remembered as more than “the funny and sweet person with neat aspirations.” Come prepared with a snazzy business card and your acquaintances will have a token by which to remember you - and find you on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, your blog, et cetera. That keeps the connection alive and gives it the opportunity to grow into something even bigger.
This pretty option by CreativeTaylor on Zazzle shows your fun side without getting overly ornate. A black background and simple color scheme keep things professional while the disco-esque feel announces your flair for the creative and trendy. These cards are typically only $20.35 for 100, but if you order by January 31st with code BIZCARD4LESS, you’ll save 50% on your order!
Be sure to have many more cards on hand than you’d expect - you never know when the moment will strike and you don’t want to be caught empty-handed. Stay tuned for more networking tips to make your own #getitgirl story happen!
New weekly feature! “Five Under” is all about the chic and cheap. These are all high-end, quality products at affordable price points that are sure to please.
- Banana Republic Soft-Wash Chambray Pintuck Shirt, $59.50 • Shop with code BRJANUARY by 1/28 and score this new spring must-have at 25% off for only $44.63! Wear it now with red pants and patent pumps and come springtime, go for white cutoffs, a floral skirt or pastel skinnies.
- Dior ‘Vernis’ Nail Lacquer, $22.00 • With names like Pink Icing, Merveille, Pink Kimono, these bright hues are perfect for the #getitgirl ready to launch into spring. Own a little piece of this iconic fashion house with a pretty mani/pedi.
- Falke Stribbings Ribbed Over-the-Knee Socks, $27.30 • On sale at Shopbop, these extra tall stockings will keep you warm the rest of the winter. For rainy days, pair them with a bright set of Hunter wellies. Colder climate? Bring out the L.L. Bean boots. Chic layering is all in the details - and warmth.
- West Elm Mirrored Jewelry Box, $29.00 • Get this pretty little thing monogrammed for only $7 extra and you’ll have a personalized piece. It’s the perfect storage option for the aesthetically inclined!
- Banana Republic Enameled Geo Bangle, $35.00 • Already a steal, get an even better deal with code BRJANUARY by 1/28 and only spend $26.25 each! Saving 25% on pretty bracelets just made your arm party even more exciting.
Twenty Tips for the Twenty-Something #Getitgirl
- Do DIY manis with a base coat and top coat. If it doesn’t work, stop stressing and just go to the nail salon. You probably need that, anyway.
- If your heart is telling you “no,” listen. If it’s screaming, “YES!” you should probably heed that sucker fast.
- Momma don’t always know best, honeybooboochild.
- If you get deodorant on your shirt, use a pair of nylons and rub it off. Works every time.
- Recognize what makes you happy. Actively acknowledge when it happens. Even if it’s just that you make two green lights in a row or your teacup finishes rotating in the microwave with the handle facing the right way.
- Everything in moderation. Carbs, wine, TV, exercise, work, play - it all needs balance.
- That does mean you can have candy for dinner. Sometimes.
- Don’t ever let anyone put you down for being “too young” or because you’re a woman. The problem is their ignorance, not your double X chromosomes or the number of years since your birth.
- Write letters to your grandparents on pretty stationery. They will adore receiving it. You will love it when they write back.
- You can create your own destiny. It’s total #getitgirl style. Set your goals high and go for it.
- Take off your makeup at night. If you don’t feel like washing your face every night, just use face wipes. Swipe and done.
- Ask the mechanic how to check your oil if you don’t already know how. Get your oil changed on a regular basis. Don’t blindly do all of the repairs they tell you. Learn about where your money is going and why.
- Keep a filing cabinet with important documents like your tax returns for the last seven years. Lock it.
- Spend time with the people you love. Don’t spend time with people who are energysucks.
- If you’re still getting big breakouts in your twenties, just talk to your doctor about Accutane. It’s six months of annoyingness that will make a difference for the rest of your life. Trust.
- Know your priorities. If you’d rather spend your money on vacations, live in a crappier apartment. If you need a place of beautiful solace every day, get a better place and staycation it up.
- Get suspicious moles checked out.
- Carry a small pepper spray on your keychain. You won’t regret it in an emergency. Also keep a few tampons, safety pins and hair ties in your purse.
- Scare yourself sometimes by doing something you didn’t think you could do. Start a blog, pick up an old instrument, call a long lost friend.
- Enjoy the little things. Like making lists and liking Tumblr posts.
Mega chic! Hashtag: totes amaze! I’m totally tweeting that. Ob-sessed!
This beautiful, fine bracelet combines a little bit of hipster and a little bit of refinement into an accessory just dying to join the arm party. Aptly titled “Recuerdos,” or “memories” in Spanish, let the juxtaposition of pretty gold and youthful macrame be a reminder of the conglomerate of wise and fun experiences that are the 20’s in life.
Recuerdos T-1 Macrame Knot, $25.00 from underanewlight
Shop owner Guisela from Lima, Peru runs an eco-friendly business through Etsy, using recycled and vintage items to create something beautiful. She was recently featured in an interview on the Etsy blog - read her #getitgirl story here!
As a cautiously ambitious cook in the making with limited time (and patience) by the time I can devote my attention to dinner, finding the right tools to make the job easier is very important to me.
These Ici Silicone Tools from Williams Sonoma are a favorite. Coated in super heat-resistant silicone, these tools are both easy to use and easy to clean. Food doesn’t stick to the surface, the pan is never scratched and the words “dishwasher safe” is the only cleaning phrase allowed in my kitchen, making these tools the ultimate winners. Also aesthetically pleasing, these sleek utensils will have you excited to cook and eating that delicious meal with less work and less cleanup hassle afterward. Shop below!
Ici Silicone Tools, $10.00 - $39.95 at Williams Sonoma
Classic Trench Coat: Every Fashionista’s Must-Have
Chilly northern California weather and foggy San Francisco nights call for a chic coat that can be layered depending on the weather. The trench coat is a fabulous option, adding instant style and classic polish. Since it can be worn year-round, it’s also a great investment piece. In the winter, wear it with cashmere gloves and a scarf; come springtime it can be styled unbuttoned and belted for an airy, slightly undone look.
While the trench coat is absolutely a go-to piece that will be worn time and time again, the ambitious 20-something on a budget may be better off with a slightly less pricey option. Burberry, master of the trench coat, offers a super-luxe and super-desirable option from its Burberry Prorsum line, but Banana Republic has a fine trench coat with great materials and construction at a tenth of the cost. Shop these pieces below!
Burberry Prorsum Cotton-Sateen Trench Coat, $1,895 • Banana Republic Classic Trench, $198
(Also, today only [1/2/11], get 30% off women’s styles online from Banana Republic with code BRGET30 - makes this stylish investment even easier!)